It has been cold and snowy here in Colorado. What better way to warm up than chili?
Recipe based on a recipe by Two Peas & Their Pod
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, depending on your taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Toppings: green onions, vegan sour cream or plain yogurt
In a medium sauce pan, combine the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook quinoa for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the black beans, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes.
Top with sour cream or yogurt and green onions.