There is this amazing Indian restaurant that has a vegan menu not too far from my apartment. They have a wonderful sweet potato masala. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it. This recipe is my rip off of their amazing food. While not a dupe, it is still pretty darn delicious. I hope you enjoy!
Sweet Potato Masala
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 3 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili, ribs and seeds removed, flesh minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup original flavor coconut coffee creamer or a creamer alternative
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sweet potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, jalapeno, tomato paste, garam masala, cumin, and paprika; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in creamer and return to simmer. Remove pan from heat. Serve over rice and sprinkle with cilantro.